Sunday, June 30, 2013

DC - Air and Space (Dulles)

We left the wild ponies behind and headed a few hours west to Washington DC. We stayed in Greenbelt Campground, which was only a mile bike ride from the College Park, University of Maryland Metro Station.  The location was awesome - the tick advisory, not so much. 





Before we even set up camp we made the trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum out at Dulles.  This was one of Michael's key requests for the entire vacation, so we wanted to make sure it happened first.   




We liked the Cessna - I had never been in one before so that was new for me.  Michael took ground school in high school, so he took the pictures.

Michael was in awe of the SR-71 Blackbird.  See the grin?  I couldn't believe the information that was tumbling out of his mouth as we walked around - he could have been a tour guide.  I had NO IDEA he knew that much about airplanes.  

Michael's favorite plane.  The F-14 Tomcat.  The man was in heaven.


 This was my favorite moment of the day - walking down the corridor into the hanger that houses the Space Shuttle Discovery.  I couldn't believe all the emotion I felt looking at something that for me symbolizes the creativity and determination of the American spirit.  It made me all misty-eyed.


I literally have hundreds of pictures of airplanes from that day - HUNDREDS - but I don't think there is any need to fill this blog with airplane pics.  It was awe inspiring and was my favorite museum of the whole Smithsonian experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment