Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Grand Canyon - North Rim

Okay, now everyone be honest.  When you read that I was nervous at Delicate Arch, and then I said we were on our way to the Grand Canyon, you giggled, right?  Well, if you didn't, go ahead and do that now.

My memories of the Grand Canyon are of standing at a small wall with a chain over the top of it and looking out over the massive canyon and being inspired.  Okay, that must be the South Rim Experience.  Yesterday the lovely lady at the campground check in showed me a little trail on the map that we could walk down to see the canyon – our campsite a mere three minutes away.  Wow was I excited.  So off we went.  Turns out we couldn’t take the dog on the little trail, so no problem,  Michael stayed with the dog and I took the kids down. 


I have decided that Michael makes me braver.  We started down the trail (which I lost in about 15 seconds and started taking my little kids right down a wash with loose rocks and everything.  Eagle Scout, I am not.)  We baby stepped down the wash and I looked  up and there was the stinking edge of the Grand Canyon eight feet in front of me.  No rope, no chain, no cute little wall or plaque,  just a drop off that instantly made me nauseated and made me grab my kids like a lunatic.  Scared the dickens out of all three of them – mommy must have had wild eyes, because Luke asks, “Mom are you alright?”  No, son, mommy is about to have a panic attack.  

I was totally freaked out this far from the edge



This picture is taken in that moment.

Five feet from a deadly precipice.  I am getting the shivers just writing about it.

We then scrambled back up just as quickly as our legs could carry us.




We then took another hike to explore the forest, and then went to a great Ranger Program about the Ancient Puebloan people that were once here.  The ranger was so dynamic – we love the Ranger talks, they really make the vacation come alive.  After the talk the Ranger had a whole bucket of clay for the kids to try their hand at making pots.  They had a blast getting ridiculously messy.








Today we woke up early and took a trail to Bright Angel Point and got a fabulous view of the canyon  - the kids were totally in awe.  This time there was a railing.  Funny how a piece of fence and a couple tubes of metal can make me feel secure mere inches from the edge.



Tomorrow we drive to Las Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment