Sunday, June 29, 2014

Starry Night - by Luke

I saw many types of telescopes in Grand Canyon National Park during a Star Party activity. There was a 20 inch telescope! That telescope was so big you had to stand on a ladder to see through it. It also had a black tent like covering to help see the stars.  Another telescope was smaller; it wasn’t as powerful, so it couldn’t see things as far away.  A third telescope was also a 20 inch, but it didn’t have a covering over it.  The last telescope I saw was a bit stubby but you could see what the telescope was looking at on a computer screen.


                I saw many different things in space through the telescopes. I saw many star clusters. Two clusters I saw were M4 and M5. I also got to see Saturn. It was yellow and I was able to see the rings.  I got to see another galaxy called the sombrero galaxy.  It was orange and it looked like a sideways hat. I also saw a nebula with the beginning of a star in the center.  I could see the space dust around the edge.  I saw things over 25,000 light years away.  I couldn't take any pictures because it would interrupt the viewing with the light, but it was awe inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. To see Saturn's rings and other galaxies... Wow! That is awesome! I hope you always remember the beauty and awe of those far away creations.

    ReplyDelete